Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Break

Well Thanksgiving break has begun! It was a very short week, but of course it was awesome, and I was really impacted by our teachings.

Trent had a pretty interesting experience too...
Yesterday during childcare in the afternoon, Trent stuck his middle finger into a train track piece:
(the second one) After he struggled with it a little, he came over to me because he couldn't get it off. Of course I laughed. Just a couple weeks ago, Trent had stuck his finger into a toy during preschool, and his teachers had to break the toy to get his finger out. So I took him to the bathroom to use soap and water. Nothing happened. I tried pulling the thing off, but I started getting scared I would pull too hard and would end up dislocating his finger. So I walked him back to childcare and called Trent's good buddy, Michael. I thought maybe Michael could figure out a way to break it (which was dumb, these are thick chunks of wood) or would be able to work at getting it off while I stayed in childcare. Once Michael got there, he took Trent into the kitchen. A couple minutes later, Trent's other good buddy Jake, came into childcare to get me. I went into the kitchen with Jake to find Trent crying and some kind of yellow goup all over his hand. Michael said the same thing about not wanting to dislocate Trent's finger. The train piece was now wedged just under Trent's knuckle, and his finger was turned red. Someone suggested we take Trent to the nurse. So we jumped into Michael's truck and drove down to the building the nurse was in. Of course she was gone. Another woman there asked what we needed, and we showed her Trent's finger. She laughed as she examined it and said, "Oh this is no problem. Just a couple weeks ago we were up in the nursery area because a kid had stuck his finger and toy. We had to break it to get it off!" Trent got really quite and buried his face into Michael's shoulder. I started laughing and said that was him. We talked about maybe calling one of the ground's people to get a saw or something. She said in the meantime to get some ice Trent's finger that was no turning slightly purplish. So we drove back up to the kitchen to get ice. The ground guy Michael called was very against using a saw to get it off...for obvious reasons...Michael ran into the kitchen to get ice and soon was back out saying Ms. Debbie (the woman in charge of the kitchen) wanted to see Trent. So Trent and I went into her office, and I set Trent down on her desk. As she examined his finger she said, "Aren't you the kid who had a toy cut off his finger a couple weeks ago?" Again I burst out laughing. Oh the reputation my kid is going to have here. So Ms. Debbie got to work. What tried a couple things, but the thing that ended up working was she doused his finger and the track in olive oil.
The oil like softened the wood, and Ms. Debbie began pealing away the wood sliver by sliver. She used pliers to try to get under it. It was intense! At the end, Trent's finger had started swelling and getting really sensitive. I finally stopped laughing at this whole thing as he really started screaming in pain but then it was done! Ms. Debbie got the train track off, we got Trent's finger in some ice and it was done. I hope he learned his lesson. Michael and I took Trent to Walmart to get him a sucker. As soon as we were on the road Trent was like, "I'm never going to do that again." And then he passed out. Out like a light. He slept all the way to Walmart and stayed sleeping as we were in Walmart and he didn't wake up until he was buckled up again. Emotionally exhausted the poor kid. Oh good times.
...Of course we had to tell everyone in our school :)

The past couple days we had classes on Abortion with Bev Klein. My heart was on fire! She works with a ministry that is a part of YWAM - Fatherheart / Living Alternatives. "Fatherheart is a safe haven where a young mother can decide what will be best for her and her baby. There are no easy answers: single parenting, adoption, marriage, each presents unique challenges. Each too can carry a hope and a future for the mother. At Fatherheart, we walk the young moms through each option in a loving environment, so they can be sure they make the right decision." The more she talked, the more my heart burned. It literally took all I had to stay in my seat and not jump over my table and the table in front of me to get to her and shout, "Sign me up!" I hope God lets me work with her for a season :) That would be so awesome! God, I am so willing!

Anyway, so we talked about abortion. It was very intense. She walked us through what happens in the womb during each trimester, and then she talked about what kind of abortion was done during each trimester...complete with pictures. It was so sad. Beyond words. Sad is not the word. It was horrible and revolting. We talked about the difference humanism and Christianity. We talked about how Pro-Choice should be called Pro-Abortion, because that's really what it is. God is really the one who is Pro-Choice. He is the one who gave us free will and gave us choices. Its up to us to make the right choices. "Pro-Choice" has just become a nice way to say, "I'm ok with a mom choosing to murder her baby if it hasn't been born yet." We talked about how we don't even necessarily want to label ourselves as Pro-Life. People who are Pro-Life are very baby focused. This ministry takes the position of being Pro-Value. Both the baby and the mom have value. Both are taken into consideration. Its not just about saving the baby. Its helping the mom get through the pregnancy, and its helping care for her after the baby is born, whether she keeps the baby or gives it to a family for adoption.

We then went a little into relationships and talked about how if men in our culture would rise up to who God has called them to be, a lot of issues that center around abortion would begin to be eliminated. The best part was when she drew out a triangle. God was at the top. Man was on the bottom left and Woman was on the bottom right. Both are individuals that need to focus on moving closer to God, and the closer they get to God, the closer they get to each other. She talked about how God brought Eve to Adam, and we should expect Him to bring a woman to a man now too. Bev had this awesome quote: "Who you want at 22 is not who you will want at 55, so let God decided who you should be with and let Him bring her to you." So cool :) Takes a lot of pressure off!

We talked about a lot more in just these two days. It was very good. But this is already way too long so I'll stop now. Tonight I am going to my mentor, Catherine's, house with some girls for a movie night. So excited :) and tomorrow my family is going to be here!!! Even more excited :) Its going to be a good Thanksgiving Break. I have so much to be thankful for. I am so incredibly blessed. Thank you, God, for being so crazy awesome in your love for me! Happy Thanksgiving everyone and God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment