Thursday, March 22, 2012

Providing for Elijah

So if you read my blogs on a somewhat regular basis - you know that I feel called to be down at YWAM Tyler in Texas. You know I feel called to work with a ministry of YWAM Tyler called Fatherheart. You know that the next step towards that is completing my SOE - which begins April 1st. And you know I need a lot of money in order to do this. And you know I have hardly any of the money that I need.
Being home this last month has been a resting and waiting period for me. God has closed doors to me working, or really to being very active outside my house at all. He has been letting me reflect and process things that happened over the last 5 months. He has been teaching me what it means to wait on His timing and what it means to be His bride. I want to share with you what He began teaching me yesterday.
I've been praying and praying for money to come in so I can go back to YWAM on April 1st. There is a SOE that begins in July, but with Trent starting school in September, I don't see how I could do that unless I worked up the courage to home school him while also doing ministry on an outreach. If that's what God wants, I know He'll give me the strength to do it. I have done crazy things riding on His strength before. However, the SOE that begins in July will have different leadership and different students. The one that begins April 1st is the second half to my specific school. It will still be my leadership and many of the students I did DTS with. So I've been spending my days with my King, asking what He wants me to do. But He just seems to want to take care of things all on His own.
I am willing to do whatever God asks of me. The desire of my heart is to follow Him where ever He calls me. In Korea, God took me through the lives of David and Solomon. Now He has started me on studying the life of Elijah. My Bible has a short profile on who Elijah was. This is some of what it said:
"God has work for us to do even when we feel fear and failure. And God always has more resources and people then we know about. The real miracle of Elijah's life was his very personal relationship with God...God speaks more frequently in persistent whispers than in shouts."
I read 1 Kings 17. God used ravens to bring food to Elijah, and used a widow with nothing to feed and care for him. "Then the LORD said to Elijah, 'Go to the east and hide by Kerith Brook, near where it enters the Jordan River. Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring you, for I have commanded them to bring you food." ~1 Kings 17:2-4 Then God tells Elijah to go to a widow who has nothing and ask for food. The widow tells Elijah she only has enough food to make one more meal for herself and her son and then they will die. Elijah tells her not to be afraid, "'For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: There will always be flour and olive oil left in your containers until the time when the LORD sends rain and the crops grow again!' So she did as Elijah said, and she and Elijah and her son continued to eat for many days. There was always enough flour and olive oil left int he containers, just as the LORD had promised through Elijah." ~1 Kings 17:14-16. God not only provided for Elijah, but also for this woman and her son as well. They obeyed and opened the door for God to bless them with containers of food that never emptied. Do you believe this stuff? Its in the Bible. Do you believe what the Bible says is true? God did this. God can do this kind of stuff. A study note in my Bible says this:
"In a nation that was required by law to care for its prophets, it is ironic that God turned to ravens (unclean birds) and a widow (a foreigner from Jezebel's home territory) to care for Elijah. God has help where we least expect it. He provides for us in ways that go beyond our narrow definitions or expectations. No matter how bitter our trails or how seemingly hopeless our situation, we should look for God's caring touch. We may find his providence in some strange places!"
This morning, my King continued with this theme. I read 1 Kings 18. Elijah challenges prophets of other gods to a showdown basically. Of course, the real God wins. The lesson from this chapter was that if God commands you to do something, he will help us accomplish what He commands us to do. God doesn't call us to do the possible. He calls us to do the impossible. It is His desire for us to lean on Him and let Him be our provider.
In America, we don't get very many chances to see God be a provider. We have so many resources and our culture teaches us to be independent. We are able to provide for ourselves. As stressful as it is, I'm glad God has called me to a life that does not match American culture or the American dream. As stressful as it is, I'm glad I get to learn at a young age what it means to wait on God's timing, what it means to believe in Him for miracles to make His will come about, and what it means to depend on Him to provide. I want my life to be like a modern day, Old Testament crazy Bible story. I want my life to show people how real God still is. I fully trust in God. I know that He is good, and His plans are good. I have done what He asked of me. When I return to YWAM is now fully in His hands.
And if you are in a situation where you need a provider, I pray this encourages you to look to THE Provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment